Sunday, June 12, 2011

Not cool

When I was younger my father used to torture my sister and I by making us listen to The Everly Brothers in the car. To this day I have an unreasonable hatred of the song "Wake Up Little Susie."

However, I am no better, I suspect (though my choice of music is. Sorry Dad!)

It was just my Curly and I on a 90 minute drive a few weeks ago and in flipping radio stations as we lost the pre-programmed ones, I found some songs here and there that are simply, well, awesome. She was unimpressed with "One" by U2, "Dreams" by the Cranberries and Coolio's "1,2,3,4"

Then, one of the best dance songs ever came on.

"OOOOHHHH!" I said, turning it up. "Curly Girly, this song is awesome!"

After all, who could NOT love Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It", right?

My child, as it turns out.

"Who is this?" she asked. "And what does jiggy mean?"

"Just go with it." I said, dancing along in the driver's seat.

She did not dance along in the back.

In an effort to gain her interest I decided to try to get her to relate to the song.

"Well, you know who Willow Smith is, right?"

"Oh, yeah! 'Whip My Hair'" she says excitedly.

"Right! Well this is her DAD!"

Deafening silence from the backseat.

And with that single sentence, I lost every chance I had of her ever thinking any of my music is cool, ever. Because I am old and so is Willow Smith's dad. Because dads are no cooler than moms, even famous dads of famous kids.

At least my music was good, unlike The Everly Brothers.

2 comments:

  1. OMG That is so funny!! BTW - I can't stand that song by Willow Smith. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I failed in teaching you "Music Appreciation". At least we could understand the lyrics. By the way, who are these Smith people?

    Lova ya

    Dad

    ReplyDelete