Thursday, April 29, 2010

Project!

It's been a while since I've done a project. But today I did one. Actually, I did 22.

My friend Jennifer is working hard at putting together fundraisers for her Relay For Life team and she asked me to put on my thinking cap and help. (There was no pressure AT ALL when she said I am the most creative person she knows. Uh-uh. That didn't phase me in the least. Nooo. It does mean that she knows a whole lot of uncreative people though...or that she doesn't get out much.)

Anyway, I made a little something for her, but she was most taken with one particular item and asked if I had anymore.

I did not.

Which brings me today.

Today I made bath salts.

It could not be easier or, ultimately, much cheaper.

I used (per batch):

1 cup Epsom salt
1 cup kosher salt
Wilton icing coloring
essential oils (I liked vanilla or peppermint)
a funnel
a Ziploc bag
a container
a ribbon of some kind
scrap paper and glue



1) Pour the salt into a Ziploc Bag

2) Add coloring. You won't need too much. I prefer lighter colors for the finished product.

3) You have to really mash and knead and shake the bag to get the color to distribute well











When you have it mixed how you want, open up the bag and add some of your favorite scented oil. Shake it up, take a smell and see if you like it. If not, add some more. Do a few drops at a time because you can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Once you have it smelling nice, pour it into your container of choice. For Jennifer I divided it into small, single bath "doses" in small baggies. For another friend I poured it into a jar. A funnel made that task much less messy.

For both, I scrounged up some scraps and made tags with directions for use:




Sorry for the blur.

And the finished products:



Cute, right? A great gift for Teacher Appreciation, Mother's Day, or really anything you can think of. And it was all made with what I had around the house.

1 comment: