Friday, June 11, 2010

A Thank You

StinkyMan graduated from PreK this morning. Never again will he be a student at his beloved preschool. While Peanut will darken their door this coming Fall (they won't know what hit them with that kid), and BabyGirl the Fall afterwards, it was still an emotional morning for me. I've been thinking a lot about why that is and I have decided that, in the end, it has to do with him being my only baby boy as well has StinkyMan being emotionally different from my girls. They are more brave, less nervous, less analytical and skeptical. They don't hesitate or get scared like he does. This school and it's teachers helped him grow a lot in many ways. Yes, I made them gifts and yes I said thank you to their faces, but heck, I have a blog, so I'm going to say it again.

Dear Miss M, Miss E and Miss K,

You will never know the special place you and your school hold in my heart. You took a little boy, not much more that a toddler, and helped him become a big boy in so many ways. He can read now and write too. He can count higher than I think I've ever even tried to count. He knows all the Presidents of the United States. He can tell us all about recycling. He knows how to share, wait his turn, stand in line, follow directions and listen.

With you he learned to use his words when his heart was hurt or frustrated. He learned compassion and kindness, empathy and sympathy, along with creativity as well as logical reasoning.

You recognized his quirks and always worked WITH those quirks, never once trying to get rid of them or change him. You encouraged him, embraced him, cheered him and loved him. You gave him a safe place to be in his first foray into the world without Mommy and Daddy holding his hand.

I am teary eyed today because I am so thankful for that safe and loving place. That every day he could go and I knew he was emotionally and physically safe, loved and happy. There is no value that can be placed on that. It is priceless. And I am emotional because I know he is about to get a push into the real world that is not as safe and cozy and I'm sad that not everywhere will be as warm and comforting to my little guy as you and your school.

So thank you, for all you do and for making my son's first school experience so completely amazing. I could never ever have asked for a better two years. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You are all amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

See you in the Fall,
Tracy

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought I was done crying for the day, not so. You have a great little guy that I am so very fond of. I'm glad I got to be a part of his life the last two years. I love my job, but graduation day is always a tough one. It's so hard to see them go! I'm glad you have a couple more coming through..................Have a great summer! See you in the Fall! Miss E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I purposely waited three days to read this in hopes that I wouldn't cry. But here I am sitting at the computer with tears running down my face again!
    Thank you for trusting us with something so special and unique. Thank you for always being a supportive parent to not just us but to your son. Thank you for creating and nurturing this wonderful boy who makes my job the best in the whole world! Moment like these make me realize how lucky I truly am to be a small part of something so great.
    Can't wait for the fall............
    Love, Miss M

    ReplyDelete