Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BFF

Do you have a best friend?

If you don't I highly recommend getting one.

Today is my BFF's birthday. She is not just my friend. She is truly my sister. Not biologically, maybe, but my sister, none the less.

She is my co-conspirator, my confidant, my secret keeper, my good news sharer, my problem solver, my good listener, my gossip buddy, my fellow Disneyland junkie, my cheerleader, my kids' auntie, and just my all around go-to person.

She helps me when I'm sick (I vomited on her front porch after Husband and my first date. It's a looong story) She's seen me through some disappointments (broken hearts and a miscarriage, to name a few); watched some of my children be born, helped me pack and unpack various houses, listens to my craziness and always, ALWAYS makes me feel better.

Her husband has joked that we are two girls with one brain. I'm not sure he's wrong. Independently of each other we have: chosen the same flooring for our homes, chosen the same clothes for ourselves and our kids, liked the same baby names and once we even discovered we owned the same underwear! One day when we were going out I got to her house and we were wearing identical outfits....she had to go change. We've had the same home in the same neighborhood with the same floorplan. More often than not we share the same point of view and I cannot count the number of times I've had the phone in my hand to dial her number when it rings with her on the other end. We can finish each other's sentences.

But as similar as we are, we have our differences which make us good for each other too. She is an overthinker and can't get out of her own brain, so I draw her back out into the real world. I am the one who gets all whirled up about things and she talks me down. She likes country music, I cannot stand it, but she would rather die than go to the opera, which is a dream of mine. She loves her junkie reality shows, I'd sooner watch the Biography channel. She can decorate the hell out of anything, my house is an empty slate. She's neat and me? Well, not so much. What comes naturally and creatively for her is a struggle for me, but she makes me strive to do better.

We completely compliment each other.

Am I sounding cheesy and silly yet?

Plain and simple, she's the best friend I could ever want.

Happy Birthday Lisa Lou. I'm not sure what I would ever do without you. I don't plan to ever find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment