Monday, October 11, 2010

Toilet Paper Pumpkins

It's Fall Y'all.

Or so the calendar may say. The weather says something else entirely around here. But I love the idea of Fall. I love the colors and the cool air and the impending arrival of jack o'lanterns and trick or treaters. I even have certain foods I only fix in fall and winter, so autumn's arrival brings out menu items we haven't seen in a while.

And Fall always makes me feel crafty.

Two years ago StinkyMan made the cutest pumpkin in preschool. "I can totally make that!" I thought and then never did.

Last week when Peanut brought home her version of the same craft I thought "Why didn't I ever make one of those?"

So now I have.

Supplies for Toilet Paper Pumpkins:

1 roll tp
orange fabric
some kind of brown material, fabric, paper, cardboard, etc
something to make a leaf or some fake leaves or heck, real leaves if you want.
some raffia to finish it off nicely.

Step 1:

Put your orange fabric face down on your work surface. Put your tp roll in the middle.




I had WAY TOO MUCH fabric there. You don't need quite so much. What you need is enough to tuck all your ends into the middle without any of the fabric falling out.

Step 2:

Gather your ends




This doesn't have to be perfect. It's OK if your fabric isn't perfectly smooth or even or unwrinkled. No pumpkin is perfect!

Step 3:

Tuck it all in.

Step 4:

Roll your brown paper, empty paper towel roll, fabric or whatever you've got into a stem shape. You can glue the end down if you want. I didn't feel like waiting for glue. I used Zots.




I used green felt to cut out a leaf shape. It's all I had. You could use brown (I likely would have if I'd had any. Brown is more Autumnish after all) And then I just tucked my leaf in.



Add some raffia for extra cuteness and you are done!



I KNOW! Super cute, right? What about a whole fabric pumpkin patch?



Curly had a playdate over and each girl, plus StinkyMan and Peanut and myself made toilet paper pumpkins. I want to get some hay and lay these on the bales. How fun would that be?

I love Fall. Now if only the weather would cooperate!

1 comment: