Friday, February 20, 2009

Socks

Most people get excited about Spring and Summer because it means nice weather, outdoor activities, school vacations and long days. Not me. I love Spring and Summer because my kids don't have to wear socks.

I HATE kid socks. Hate them. I can't stand trying to find a matching pair when we are trying to get out the door. And before anyone leaves me a comment telling me to try washing them in a mesh bag, or pinning them together or buying all the same socks, let me assure you that I have tried these tricks and yet I still do not have matching sets.

The worst part is that the socks seem to multiply in the night....but they only multiply in singles. So I have 47 new single socks every day. Pink, white, gray, purple, red, black, blue, striped, polka dots, sports socks, no show socks, knee socks...you get the idea. And I keep all the singletons in the desperate hope their mates might return, but they never do. I am overrun with sock singles and finding one matching pair is quite a feat. Finding 4 is a downright miracle.

But in glorious Spring and Summer in California, the sun comes out, the rain stops and their little naked toes can breathe. Sandals, Crocs, flip flops or just plain bare feet rule in the warm weather. No socks is heaven for them and for me. When it is safe to say that it is going to stay warm or hot for a while I will scoop up every sock that does not have a twin and throw it away. It is one of the highlights of my Spring and Summer seasons. We're almost there and I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Ha!!

    That's why I only buy white socks. White socks for Hubs, white socks for James, white socks for me.

    You can always find a match when all you own is white socks! lol The match may be a woman's size 8 and a man's size 11.... but when worn with a pair of jeans and sneakers, no one notices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids all have the same socks. White with grey toes and heels. So, like the person above said, there is never a matching problem. And I don't have to match them and fold them. I throw them all in the bottom drawer loose. I like it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just wait until your girls want pink socks. It's a slippery slope. It starts with one innocent pair and then it's all downhill. It's coming, my friend, I promise you that!

    ReplyDelete