Monday, July 13, 2009

Cooking fun

Good Mommy came for a while this weekend. It had been a while since my kids had seen her. Since summer vacation Frazzled and Crazed Mommy seems to have taken up residence in our house. But we had guests and in an effort to entertain the kids and produce something usable we made these:

Cute little bread bears to go nicely with our spaghetti and meatballs.

Here's what I did/used:

Pillsbury Grand Buttermilk Biscuit 10 pack (the kind in the tube that pops when you open them) which made one bear per kid. I had 5 kids of bear eating age.

One greased cookie sheet.

Roll 5 of the biscuits into balls. Break the other biscuits up into bits, rolling smaller balls for the heads, small balls for the legs and arms, tiny balls for the ears and itty bitty balls for the nose.

I baked them for 10 minutes. You should not. My bears were a little on the "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" side of things. You want your bear to be more Pooh Bear colored. Maybe 7 or 8 minutes? I'm guessing, though.

They were a big hit and despite being a little crunchy, were quite tasty with butter. The children, as I think most kids would, had a great time at the table eating a bear appendage and then saying things like "AHHHHHH! MY LEG!" At one point they were dipping their bears in red sauce and shrieking about bear blood. Not quite the direction I wanted dinner to go, but they all ate happily and sometimes that is all you can ask for.

Thanks to Melissa at Bloggin It for the inspiration! We'll be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment