Monday, September 28, 2009

No More Nursey

I nursed all my babies. In fact, for nearly the last 7 years solid I have been either pregnant or nursing or pregnant AND nursing.

BabyGirl has just stopped nursing. I'm a little bit sad to end "nursey" as we called it. It was so nice to have a reason to just sit down, one on one with her and do something with and for her that only I could do. Now, anyone can sit down with her and give her a bottle.

On the upside, NOW ANYONE CAN SIT DOWN WITH HER AND GIVE HER A BOTTLE! It's not just up to me! When she wakes up in the morning, she doesn't need me. Husband can get up with her. If I want to leave the house for hours, no worries. She can have a bottle and does so happily.

Don't get me wrong, I will miss it. But this is the first time in more than half a decade that my body is all mine.

I love you babies. I enjoyed all my nursey time, my pregnant time, and even my pregnant nursey time. But holy cow I cannot wait to go and get fitted to buy bras that don't have to open and shut, that actually push the girls up where they are supposed to be and are actually kind of cute. It's going to be nice to be able to buy and wear clothes that don't require forethought as to how I might access my chest while wearing them (I once had to almost strip naked in the backroom of a church to nurse Curly after not having given access in a dress much thought. Oops.) It's going to be great not to have to go out and scout locations to nurse or to just sit in public with some boob hanging out (I try to be discreet, but babies are squirmy and don't like to hide under blankets, ya know?) It's pretty awesome to not have a baby head butting your chest when she's hungry.

But I will miss it and I am kind of bummed. I was a good nurser and my kids LOVED it. But she showed signs of moving on and I let her take the lead. It's weird to know that part of my life is over. No more nursey. And although part of me is very excited, don't think I haven't shed a tear or two. Or two hundred. Or more. Because for me, nursing was a quintessential part of Mommyhood. And now it's over.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post. My own daughter just weaned this summer after 2 years of nursing. I shed many a tear too. Like you, I let her take the lead so I am confident that the proceess as gentle on her as it could have been but that doesn't mean it isn't a bit painful for Mommy :)

    ReplyDelete