Friday, September 18, 2009

Owie

I hurt StinkyMan's feelings.

I was in the middle of pouring various bowls and cups of milk when I realized that I had forgotten to complete Curly's reading log. As I quickly finished filling it in and signing it, StinkyMan decided he would pour his own milk.

"NO!" I said, but it was too late. I took the cup from him and he said proudly "But look, Mommy, I didn't spill any!"

"I know. I see. But I thought that you would. Next time wait for me okay?" and I turned back to the errant homework assignment.

All of a sudden there is wailing behind me. StinkyMan is devastated.

And I realize my error.

Instead of praising him for a job well done and for trying to help, I chastised him for what COULD have happened, but didn't. His heart was hurt. I had crushed him.

I hugged him and told him I was sorry, that I didn't mean to make him sad. But he cried the cry of a broken hearted boy.

Peanut asked "StinkyMan sad?"

"Yes" I said "I hurt his feelings."

"He has an owie?"

"Yes" I answered. "He has an owie."

"Oooooh." She understands the seriousness of an owie. "StinkyMan need a band aid." After all, bandaids heal everything.

"I think he just needs hugs" I said as her brother still whimpers in my lap.

"And a kiss!" and she leans in and gives him one.

"That was nice, Peanut" I say. "StinkyMan, I was going to have some cereal for breakfast" Which I was not, but I would fix this. "Will you pour my milk?"

Sniffle.

Sniffle.

Sniffle.

And a slow nod. "Yes. I can do it."

"I know you can!" I said enthusiastically. "You are a good pourer."

And so we trooped back into the kitchen, poured a bowl of cereal and he poured my milk. And he did great.

Next time I will also try to do great the first time. It's a good thing that sometimes in life we do get a do-over.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, this totally made me tear up. Been there. Great job on the do-over!

    ReplyDelete