Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Smarty Boy

StinkyMan: Mommy, what is that called at the top of the calendar?

Mommy: At the top of the candle?

StinkyMan: Calendar.

Mommy: Oh, calendar. The month?

StinkyMan: Yeah. What's it called? The one with 3 E's in it?

Mommy: 3 E's...September?

StinkyMan: Does that have three E's?

Mommy: Yes. S-E-P-T-E-M-B-E-R. September.

StinkyMan: That's it. That's at the top of the calendar now. It has 3 E's.

Mommy: Yes it is at the top with 3 E's, Smarty Boy. Goodnight.

StinkyMan: Goodnight Mommy.

I'm trying to decide if I should be impressed or slightly frightened that after one day of September calendar at preschool the thing he remembered about our new month was that is has 3 E's in it. It's a way of thinking I'm not used to. Very engineery and mathematical...the side of my brain that works at a sub-par level. I'm all about English and flowery language and the symbolism of the written word. He's all about breaking down the parts and tinkering with the pieces and figuring out the little bits that accomplish the whole. As far as I can tell, he's the only one of my kids who thinks this way, even though BabyGirl is too little to decipher yet.

Ah, my boy. Part of you will always be a little puzzle for me I suspect. You are an amazing kid with brain power that will help you do outstanding things.

For the record, this post has 80 E's in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment