Monday, January 19, 2009

POOP.....

....is the new word of choice for Stinkyman. It is said, with great glee, several times a day. Also, shockingly enough, "toilet" has become the other "swear" word he knows. Not like "I have to use the toilet" but more like "TOILET!!!!!" at the top of his lungs, whenever he feels like it, followed by a tear of laughter that is equal parts diabolical and cute.

The mommy in me knows I must teach him better. That shouting "poop!" and "toilet!" whenever he thinks to do so is socially inappropriate and he will never get into college if he answers "Poop!" at his Harvard interview.

But the other part of me, the inappropriate, kids crack me up, part of me, secretly thinks it's kind of funny.

Until it was directed at me. Then it wasn't. It went like this:

"Stinkyman, I need you clean up these toys so you can have soup with Curly and Peanut"

Stinkyman gives me the look....the wordless "up yours" of an almost 4 year old.

So I say "Stinkyman, I'm going to go make soup. Clean it up or there will not be a bowl for you. Do you understand?"

"POOP!" was the not so charming response.

I got mad. He got a flick in the mouth. I don't usually do that. I just totally lost it. I hate sass. HATE IT! But that is no excuse. Stinkyman was devastated and so was I. This is not how I parent.

So we talked and cried. I told him I was sorry. He said he was sorry. All was well.

Then he went into his sister's and colored on the wall.

Sigh.....at least I haven't heard "POOP!" or "TOILET!" in the last half hour. I bet that doesn't last.

And, unless it is directed at me, I'll probably be laughing on the inside when it does happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment