Sunday, June 7, 2009

And so it begins....

It is officially summer vacation for Curly and StinkyMan has just 2 days of preschool left before he's out as well.

And it is time for my confession: I don't like summer vacation.

I'm pretty sure that puts me in the Bad Mommy Club, so I don't like to admit it. There are, of course, some aspects I enjoy. Not having to jump up and herd short people through breakfast is nice. I like not having to navigate clothing battles at 6:30 in the morning. And summer does allow for some fun leisure time with them, which is great. I love hanging with my kids.

But not all day long, every day, 7 days a week for a bazillion weeks. I know, I know, it's not a billion weeks, I'm being dramatic. But when the fighting over Mario Cart begins before 7am, the day stretches out and the weeks seem like they will be an infinitely long patch on the highway of Boredom and Fighting.

Yes I can put them in activities and yes they will have playdates and yes there are things to do. But don't forget my husband travels, so while many fellow moms sit down and enjoy dinner with their whole families, I'm trying to figure out the best way to coerce 4 kids into going to bed even though the sun is still out. (Yes I stick to the same strict schedule in the summer as I do during school. They get up at the same time no matter what I do and if they go to bed later they are cranky. Why add the difficulty to my life? It's called self preservation!)

In truth, I think summer may be one of those things I will dread in theory MORE than in reality. At least I hope so. I don't want to be in the Bad Mommy Club. Only time will tell. I'll let you know if I make it out alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment