Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My BabyGirl...

...is one year old today.

One year ago she was born with premature lungs. One year ago the pediatrician came in and said he thought it best if she go to another hospital...one with a NICU. And I stayed behind.

It was awful. And sad. And difficult. And all the things you would expect when your newborn is taken out of your care and out of your line of vision. It was not an option for me to leave. I had dangerously high blood pressure and needed care myself. I cried a lot.

It was a rocky start. Eight days in the NICU. One day we came to visit and they said "You can take her home!" I didn't have her going home outfit so we ran to the mall while they gave her her "car seat test" to make sure she could sit and breathe well in a car seat for an hour. She passed and we brought her home to an excited and curious and busy household of siblings.

She was and is a beautiful baby. Our very last child is even tempered yet strong willed, chubby in that cute baby chub way, yet not particularly big. She's happy yet dramatic, particular but easy going and loves to explore. Her eyes are a gorgeous blue (that makes 4 for 4 with two brown eyed parents. Weird!) She has 4 teeth and likes to wrinkle her nose up and breathe in a way that reminds me of the Lamaze breathing I did in labor. She can clap her hands and is never happy being fenced into the family room. She'd much rather crawl all around and, although we don't let her, she is capable of climbing up the stairs. Her hair is straight and wispy on top and in the front, but pretty curly in the nape of her neck. She says "nah-nah-nah" but no mama or dada yet. She is goofy like her sisters and brother and seems to have a great sense of humor. She brings the funny and giggles when someone else is being silly. She loves music and will shake her head and "dance". She is absolute perfection in baby form.

It's bittersweet for me that my baby is one now. I know we are quickly leaving babydom behind us and toddlerhood is around the corner. I'm not ready for my last baby to not be a baby. I know we have many exciting adventures ahead of us. I know we have only just begun to discover her and her personality. It's been an amazing year. I know the coming years will be just as wonderful.

Happy Birthday BabyGirl. Mommy loves you more than I could ever say in words. Thanks for joining our family. You made us complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment