Monday, August 10, 2009

Sleep

It's something I know little about. I have, in the last 6.5 years, had almost no personal relationship with sleep. Curly was the WORST sleeper ever. Still is, actually. I can guarantee you I will see her face in the middle of the night at least once per week.

With StinkyMan and Peanut I did something right. They LOVE sleep. I mean seriously love it. They know their limits and when they are done, they are done. They will ask to go to bed at night. It is not uncommon to find StinkyMan out like a light in a self imposed nap. Nor is it unusual for Peanut to come find me and say "I find my baby. I go night-night." I once wowed a friend who was here when I said to Peanut "You wanna go night-night?" and she jumped up and down, clapped her hands and said "YAY!" and ran to her room. My friend thought I was some kind of kid sleep training guru.

I am not, as is evidenced once again by BabyGirl. That kid is up a million times a night. At almost one (*sob*) she has recently regressed from getting up once or twice per night to every 2.5 to 3 hours ALL NIGHT LONG. Still nursing, she thankfully goes back to sleep right away for the most part, but I am more of a Zombie Mommy than usual.

Last night she was in bed an hour before she started wailing. Seriously, an hour? In the words of Shaggy from Scooby Doo "Like, no way!" So I went in and nursed her. She wouldn't go back to bed. Very unusual. I gave her some Tylenol for her sprouting top teeth and nursed a little more. Still no luck. The minute I headed back toward the crib she was screaming. Then the light bulb came on in my head: The kid was hungry.

She's started table food and I don't think she's been eating enough. We went downstairs and she inhaled an entire jar of Oatmeal with bananas and apples. Then, in a genius move, I gave her a bottle of formula. It's not something she usually drinks, but she'd nursed so much I was running empty. She sucked down nearly 8 ounces and went I put her in bed she sighed contentedly, stuck her thumb in her mouth and went to sleep.

I went to bed, hoping for a good 4 hour stretch before I would be summoned to her crib.

It is now 9am and she is still snoring away. She's gone 10 hours without a peep.

But don't worry. I'm still Zombie Mommy. Curly was up at 3am with a nightmare about a cow.

I'm never going to sleep a full night again.

No comments:

Post a Comment