Friday, May 7, 2010

Money Saver!

I am not a mopper. I don't mop my floor nearly as much as I should. And when I do, it's not the old fashioned way with a mop and bucket. Oh no. I'm much more likely to grab my Swiffer WetJet and then my steam mop to really get the tile clean.

But today I was out of Swiffer juice and the cheap side of me just could NOT shell out the money for the replacement bottle. Certainly there must be a way to get my own cleaning solution into the bottle I had, right?

And there is! (Stop laughing BFF. I know you think I've gone 'round the bend.) And it can not be done just by turning the cap with all your might. I tried that.

So here you go:

Step 1: Boil about a quart of water in a pan.



Step 2: Once you've got it going, turn it off and, turning your Swiffer bottle upside down like you do when it's in your actual Swiffer, place it in your water, submerging the white cap and a little bit of the actual bottle.


Step 3: Hold it there for about 10 seconds. Get a dishcloth ready for the next step.

Step 4: Take the bottle out and turn that lid to loosen it like you would any other lid, using the dishcloth to get a good grip.

Step 5: TA-DA! Open Swiffer bottle.

So, you can now rinse the Swiffer bottle out well (you don't want to mix chemicals) and pour in any cleaner of your choosing, like PineSol or Mr. Clean or whatever. Me? I'm cheap and sometimes I like to pretend I'm green too, so I use vinegar. To do that I:

Step 1: Pour about 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the Swiffer bottle. A funnel will make that easier. You should get a bigger funnel than mine. Mine is crazy small.

Step 2: Remember that hot hot quart of water? Yep, pour it in the bottle too.

Step 3: Shake it up.

Step 4: Put the lid back on and insert the bottle back into the Swiffer.

Step 5: Mop away!

(Those are StinkyMan's feet. He wanted to help mop. His future wife thanks me.)

If you don't use it all it will keep until the next time, the hot water just helps to get some of the more stubborn spots.

So now my floor is clean and my wallet is a little bit thicker. Who wouldn't like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment