Friday, January 8, 2010

Letter to my child

Dear Peanut,

You are 2, nearly 3 and Mommy has decided that you are a little bit nuts.

I embrace the nuttiness most of the time. It doesn't matter to me if you wear JoJo's Circus pajama bottoms with a pastel striped shirt and your baby sister's sweater over top and call yourself dressed and fancy. It doesn't matter to me if you only want to wear lopsided ponytails. It's fine that one of your favorite past times is to spin and spin and spin until you fall over. And that you then do it again. And again. If your panties are on backwards and that's how you want it, OK by me. And I think it's funny that you know, before you are 3 years old, that your big ol' smile will get you out of a good deal of trouble.

Here is what is not okay:

Please, for the love all things good and holy, stop screeching about every perceived insult. You are screeching all.day.long.

Please stop climbing out of your crib in the middle of the night, turning on your light and your fan, changing into summer clothes (after pulling out every piece you have and throwing them around your room) and then crying that you are cold when you try to go back to bed. I love your inner fashionista. I just don't want to meet her at 3am.

Please understand that whining gets you nowhere, so you can stop now.

Please understand that Mommy loves you, but no means no and you need to listen. Please see the above about whining.

And finally, please understand that the world does not revolve around you. I know you think it does. Maybe it should. But it does not. Sometimes you just have to wait.

I love you Peanut. Please stop acting your age, even for just 10 minutes. I need a break.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment