Thursday, November 5, 2009

Alone Time

When Husband travels I often let a kid sleep in bed with me. It is mostly Curly who revels in this special treat (She should. I have 1000 thread count sateen sheets. Hello Luxury!) But every time she does, she wants me to go to bed at the same time she does.

"Why can't you go to bed now?"

"Because I have things to do. Have seen this house? It's a mess! Plus, I need some alone time."

"Why?"

"Everyone needs alone time, Curly. It's just nice to be able to think without being interrupted and to do what you want to do without having to do anything for anyone else."

The answer varies, but that's a pretty good summary of what I say. I did think she understood it, but now I am not so sure. Because today, this went down in my house:

Curly: Mommy, can I have some alone time in my room?

Mommy: Alone time?

Curly: Yeah.

Mommy: Sure after you do your homework you can have some alone time.

Curly: YAY!

15 minutes later....

Curly: Mommy! I'm done! Can I have my alone time now?

Mommy: Sure. Go right ahead.

Curly: Okee! Hey StinkyMan! I'm going to have alone time in my room. Do you wanna come?

StinkyMan: OK!

And off they went, spending a lovely 20 to 30 minutes of "alone time" together.

She may not understand the concept, but if calling it "alone time" makes playing with her brother more acceptable, I'm all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment