Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Divide and Conquer

It's an old expression, divide and conquer. And since we've had more than two kids I feel like it's our life motto.

You take this one here while that one is napping so I can play with the other two. Or you take this one and that one since they will both fit in a cart at Costco and I'll go with these two to Target since I only need one cart spot. Or I'll take this one to the party and leave these two with you while that one plays down the street. I'll bathe the babies, you get StinkyMan and tell Curly to make sure her hair is totally rinsed out so I can comb it in a minute.

You know what? I don't like it. I mean, sometimes it's okay. A lot of times it's just practical...why doesn't EVERYONE have those double Costco like shopping carts? But it seems like it defeats family unity in a big way. And I never get to see Husband on the weekends until the kids go to bed because there is Stuff To Do. Grocery shopping, birthday parties, haircuts, school projects, new shoes, new clothes...Stuff To Do ends up eating up our together time.

So my wonderful friend Jamie has gifted us with passes to a local museum and I am so looking forward to going with my family. Being all together for one outing sounds awesome. I know it will probably be a little crazy, but I am going to try to remember that the reason for the trip is not relaxation, but togetherness. I think any mom of many will tell you that togetherness on an outing of any kind is more harried than relaxing, but I need to let it go. The kids won't remember if their hands were dirty because the last wipey got used on the baby or that we get dirty looks for using a child backpack/leash thing (I don't want to hear it. You've never met Peanut. She's fearless and nutty.) They won't know that Mommy inwardly counts heads every 3 seconds. They'll just remember we were together. And that is all that counts.

So when I come back here and say "NEVER AGAIN!" after our trip, which is not outside the realm of possibility, remind me to reread this post and be thankful that we had some together time because as soon as we get home it will be back to divide and conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment